
The residents of Alpha had long desired for a free public library, but due to a lack of funds, efforts to establish such an institution seemed nearly impossible. However, in October 1933, when the Alpha National Bank closed, many locals recognized that the bank building would be the perfect location for this much-needed facility. The building remained vacant for four years, until April 1937, when William H. Walters announced that he had decided to donate the property to the people of Alpha for use as a free public library. Rev. Andrew was quickly asked to form a board of trustees, and on May 1, 1937, the following individuals were appointed: Rev. Andrew Szabo, Michael Rinak, Joseph Noll, John Riggio, Dr. James Weres, Albert Sheninger, and Alfred Seiss.

On May 5, this committee convened and elected the following officers: Rev. Andrew Szabo as President, Joseph Noll as Vice-President, Albert Sheninger as Secretary, John Riggio as Treasurer, and Alfred Seiss as Legal Advisor. The Board of Trustees then voted to name the library the William H. Walters Free Public Library.
On
May 8, the Board of Trustees applied for a charter under the name of
William H. Walters Library. By May 12, the charter was officially recorded, with all deeds transferred to the Board of Trustees by Mr. Walters.
In June and July, the building's interior was renovated - banking fixtures were removed, and bookshelves were installed. Necessary library equipment was also purchased.
By August 1, the library was opened to the residents of the Borough, with Mrs. Edna Sitgreaves of Phillipsburg appointed as Librarian.
By August 12, the library had 750 books on its shelves, all donated by residents of Alpha and Phillipsburg.
Today, Alpha takes great pride in this public institution.
|